Davy had a difficult childhood.
His family was poor.
When he was twelve years old, his father said, “Davy, our family doesn’t have any money. You must go to work as a cattle herder.”
“All right, father,” said Davy. “I’m happy to help the family!”
Davy travelled four hundred miles on foot.
He took cattle from Tennessee to other places.
When he finished his work, he was far from home.
He was lost!
Davy walked 400 miles.
When he returned home, he was very tired.
Davy gave his father the money he made.
His father was happy and said, “Thank you, Davy! Now we have some money for the winter months.”
“I can do it again to help the family,” Davy answered.
FILL IN THE BLANKS:
Davy had a difficult
His family was
When he was twelve years old, his father said, Davy, you must go to work as .
Davy travelled four hundred miles
He took from Tennessee to other places.
When he finished his work, he was from home.
Davy 400 miles.
When he returned home, he was very
Davy gave his father the money he
His father was
ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS:
(1) Did Davy have a difficult childhood?
(2) Was his family was poor?
(3) Did Davy work as a cattle herder when he was twelve?
(4) Did Davy travel four hundred miles on foot?
(5) Did he take cattle from Tennessee to other places?
(5) Was he far from home when he finished his work?
(6) Was he was lost?
(7) Did Davy walk 400 miles?
(8) Was he very tired when he returned home?
(9) Davy gave his father the money he made, didn’t he?
(10) His father was happy, wasn’t he?
cattle [‘kætl] – крупный рогатый скот; разг. презр. скоты
childhood [‘ʧaɪldhud] детство
competition [ˌkɔmpə’tɪʃ(ə)n] – соревнование, состязание
foot [fut] мн. ч. feet [fiːt] ступня (ноги)
herd [hɜːd] – стадо
herder [‘hɜːdə]- пастух; скотник
lose [luːz] (lost – lost) v. терять
poor [puə] бедный, малоимущий
racoon [rə’kuːn] – енот
rifle [‘raɪfl]- винтовка, нарезное оружие
tired [‘taɪəd] усталый, уставший, утомлённый
trapper [‘træpə]- охотник, ставящий капканы
true [truː] – истинный; настоящий
- 400 (four hundred) miles is 674 km