Davy soon became a representative of the government of Tennessee. Now he was in politics. He helped his people in many ways.
At first, many politicians laughed at Davy because he never wore a suit. After some time, these politicians admired and respected him. Davy was an honest man. Everyone believed what he said.
His buckskin jacket had two big pockets. In his right pocket, Davy had a bottle of whisky. When he met his friends, he gave them some whisky! In those days, it was common to give some whisky to friends.
FILL IN THE BLANKS:
Davy soon ______ a representative of the government of Tennessee. Now he was in politics.
He helped his people ___ ____ _____ .
At first, many politicians _____ at Davy because he never _____ _____.
After some time, these politicians _____ ___ _____ him. Davy was an honest man. Everyone _______ what he said.
His buckskin jacket had two big _______.
In his right pocket, Davy _______ a bottle of whisky. When he _______ his friends, he _______ them some whisky! In those days, ___ ___ _______ to give some whisky to friends.
ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS:
(1) Did Davy soon become a representative of the government of Tennessee? ________________________________________________________
(2) Was he now in politics? ________________________________________________
(3) Did he help his people in many ways? __________________________________________________
(4) Did Davy wear a suit? __________________________________________________
(5) Did many politicians laugh at Davy at first? ______________________________________________
(6) Why did they laugh at Davy? ________________________________________________
(7) Did these politicians admire and respect him after some time? ________________________________________________
(8) Was Davy an honest man? ______________________________________________
(9) Did everyone believe what he said? ____________________________________________
(10) Did he wear a buckskin jacket? ___________________________________________
(11) Was his jacket made of buckskin? __________________________________________
(12) Did his jacket have two big pockets? __________________________________________
(13) What did Davy have in his right pocket? ___________________________________________
(14) Did Davy give his friends some whisky when he met them? ________
(15) Was it common in those days? ________
believe [bɪ’liːv] v. верить: to believe somebody, Everyone believed what he said. Все верили тому, что он говорил; to believe in God верить в Бога
common [‘kɔmən] обычный: It was common in those days to do this. В то время это было обычным делом.
honest [‘ɔnɪst] / [‘ɔnəst] честный: Davy was an honest man. Дэви был честным человеком.
laugh [lɑːf] v. смеяться, потешаться: Many politicians laughed at Davy. Многие политики смеялись над Дэви.
pocket [‘pɔkɪt] карман: His jacket had two big pockets. Он носил куртку с двумя большими карманами.
respect [rɪ’spekt] v. уважать: to respect somebody – уважать кого–л Politicians respected him. Политики его уважали.
suit [s(j)uːt] – костюм: Davy never wore a suit. Дэви никогда не носил костюм.
wear [weə] (wore [wɔː] – worn [wɔːn]) v. носить (одежду) Davy never wore a suit. – Дэви никогда не носил костюм.