Colonel Travis called his 187 men.
He said sadly, “General Santa Anna is coming to attack us. He has about 4,000 soldiers and lots of ammunition. We have only 187 men and little ammunition. We have little food and water. Remember, there are women and children in the fort.”
Then he marked a line on the ground with his sword.
“Those who want to fight for the independence of Texas, cross this line! The others can leave the fort and go home.”
There was a very long silence.
Davy thought about his wife and his five children.
Then he thought about the independence of Texas and the American settlers.
He thought about a new American state: Texas!
FILL IN THE BLANKS
Colonel Travis __________________ his 187 men.
He said __________________ “General Santa Anna is coming __________________ us.
He has about 4,000 soldiers and _____________ We have only 187 men and _____________ We have _____________ Remember, there are _____________ in the fort.”
Then he _____________ on the ground with his _____________
“Those who want _____________ for the independence of Texas, _____________ this line!
The _____________ can_____________ the fort and_____________.
There was a very long _____________ Davy _____________ about his wife and his five children. Then he _____________ about a new American state: Texas!
ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS:
(1) How many men did Travis call? __________________
(2) Did he speak sadly? __________________
(3) Did Santa Anna have lots of ammunition? __________________
(4) How many soldiers did Santa Anna have? _______________________
(5) How many men were there at fort? _____________________
(6) Did they have much or little ammunition at the fort? _____________________
(7) Did they have much or little food and water at the fort? _____________________
(8) Were there women and children in the fort? __________________
(9) What did he mark on the ground? __________________
(10) What did he mark the line with? __________________
(11) Did he ask everybody to cross the line? __________________
(12) Was there a long silence? __________________
(13) Did Davy think about his wife and children? __________________
(14) Did he think about a new American state: Texas? __________________
about [ə’baut] примерно: He has about 4,000 soldiers. У него примерно 4 000 солдат.
ammunition [ˌæmjə’nɪʃ(ə)n] боеприпасы, снаряды, патроны
call [kɔːl] v. позвать, созывать; кричать
cross [krɔs]v. пересекать, переходить за
line [laɪn] линия, черта
lots [lɔts] lots of / a lot of много, большое количество
other [‘ʌðə] другой
others [‘ʌðəz] остальные
sadly [‘sædlɪ] грустно, печально
sword [sɔːd] шпага, рапира, меч
think [θɪŋk] (thought – thought [θɔːt]) v. думать, размышлять