Davy often went to Nashville, the capital of Tennessee. In Nashville, he worked for the Tennessee Government. One day, while Davy was working for the Tennessee Government, a big flood destroyed his mill. This was terrible! He was very unhappy because he lost a lot of money.
When he returned to Lawrenceburg, he started a new type of work. This time he made barrels! He sold these barrels in New Orleans, Louisiana. New Orleans was about 400 miles away.
FILL IN THE BLANKS:
In Nashville, he the Tennessee Government.
One day, Davy was working for the Tennessee , a big flood his mill.
This was !
He was very because he money. Nashville, Tennessee.
This time he barrels!
He these barrels in New Orleans, Louisiana.
New Orleans was 400 miles away. Lawrenceburg, he started a new of work.
ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS:
(1) Did Davy go to Nashville often?
(2) What is the capital of Tennessee?
(3) Did Davy work for the Tennessee Government in Nashville?
(4) Did a big flood destroy his mill one day?
(5) Did he lose a lot of money?
(6) Was Davy happy?
(7) Did he return to Lawrenceburg?
(8) Did he start a new type of work in Lawrenceburg?
(9) Did he make barrels?
(10) Did he sell these barrels in New Orleans, Louisiana?
(11) Was New Orleans about 400 miles away?
(12) How far away was New Orleans?
barrel [‘bær(ə)l] бочка: He started to make barrels. Он принялся изготаливать бочки.
capital [‘kæpɪtəl] – столица: Nashville is the capital of Tennessee. Нэшвилл – столица (штата) Теннесси.
destroy [dɪ’strɔɪ] v. разрушать: A flood destroyed the mill. Мельницу разрушило наводнением.
flood [flʌd] наводнение. The flood has cut off the village. Потоп отрезал деревню от остального мира.
lose [luːz] (lost – lost) v. терять. He lost a lot of money. Он понёс большие убытки.
mile [maɪl] миля
sell (sold – sold) v. продавать. He sold the barrels in New Orleans. Он продавал бочки в Новом Орлеане.
type [taɪp] тип. He started a new type of work. Он занялся новым видом деятельности.
400 miles is 643.7 kilometers – 400 миль составляют 643.7 километров